How to apply for your Provisional Driving Licence Online
What is a Provisional Driving Licence?
Your provisional driving licence is the first step to starting your driving journey. You need a provisional licence in order to learn how to practically drive a car, without the licence you are not allowed to operate a vehicle yourself.
Find below the requirements that are to be met before applying:
- You need to have a legitimate UK passport and one other form of identity
- You are a citizen of Great Britain
- You cannot currently have a ban on driving
- You need to be 17 years of age or older
- You need to meet the correct eyesight requirement or have suitable eye-ware which is approved by DSA
- You need to be able to make a payment of £38.00 online
- You need to provide your UK address history for the last 3 years
- Your computer must be connected to a printer in order to print the application for postage
Things you need to complete the application process:
- A suitable debit or credit card
- Details of previous addresses
- British digital passport if you have one, otherwise regular British passport
Things to know about during the application process:
- You will get a Government Gateway user ID in the process of applying for your provisional, if you already have one, just log in with those credentials
- With your permission, the DVLA (Driver and vehicle licensing agency) will carry out checks on your identity for security reasons
- If you have a digital British passport the DVLA will automatically capture your photo and signature from the identity and passport service - if you have a regular passport, you can still complete the process online.
- You will be advised during your application of the correct documentation you need to send with the printed application form.
- Print off the application form and post it to the DVLA within 21 days
- The DVLA endeavours to send you your new provisional photo-card driving licence within 15 working days.
The next steps after receiving for your provisional licence:
- Selecting a driving instructor for lessons
- Planning your theory test
- Learner Driver insurance if you wish to learn independently from a driving school
- Intensive driving courses